Vision and Mission of University of Merdeka Malang’s Development
The development of UNMER Malang was contained in RENSTRA UNMER MALANG 2006-2015 (Kep YPTM: Kep-01/YPTM/I/2006), and it is specified in operational plan (Renop) UNMER Malang 2006-2010 period and 2011-2015 period. UNMER Malang as one of higher education administrators has vision and mission leading to Indonesian human resource improvement to acquire competency to globally compete. This purpose is stated in UNMER’s vision and mission, contained in RENSTRA UNMER Malang 2006-2015 periode which have gained revision as it was stated in Renop UNMER Malang 2011-2015 as follow:
University of Merdeka Malang’s vision :
Becoming the center of knowledge and technology development, interpreunership and human resource development, which is qualified professional, competitive, independent, interpreunership, religious and devoting to the almighty Lord.
University of Merdeka Malang’s Mission
- Conducting qualified higher educational program on academic, vocation and profession to produce competent graduates based on their specialist fields, obtaining good soft skills, independency and having spirit of interpreunership as well as individual integrity, morality and ethic profession in accordance with fast moving knowledge stream demand and user enquiries and supporting nation wide competitive value.
- Conducting research activities and qualified community work as well as distributing the results to stakeholders to improve institution’s image and society’s living standard.
- Administering organizational management which reflects to Good University Governance.
The 3 puposes that are about to achieve UNMER Malang upto 2015 consist of:
- to improve education quality to produce competent graduates, having good soft skills, independency and interpreneurship, as well as individual integrity, morality, and high value of profession ethics in accordance with the delopment of knowledge and user’s enquiries and to support nation wide competitive value,
- to elevate practice quality and distribution of research results and community servive to improve institution’s image and society living standard,
- to improve the quality of institution’s governance leading to Good University Goevernance based on autonomy principles, accountability, quality assurance and transparent evaluation given to stakeholders as a liability realization toward the educational practices carried on.
To acccelarate realization of the goals, therefore, strategic targets, programs which employ information technology and communication advancement, and cooperation network with many related parties in both domestic and overseas scope were formulated based on equality principles. The long-term development plan of UNMER, which is to realize visions and implementation of the missions, was stated in basic development strategy of the university within a periode of 2006-2015 (stage of quality and relevancy development); there are 5 development aspects stated as follow:
- The improvement of quality and relevancy of the graduates.
- Implementation, utilization and advancement of Information Communication Technology (ICT).
- The improvement of research assistance and community service.
- Developing cooperation networking;
- Developing Good University Governance
In order to establish UNMER Malang’s visions, there are two major aspects need to be prioritized, namely, mentality development that is conducted through mentality development program, and autonomy development program which is conducted through autonomy development program. The autonomy development program is aimed for educating the graduates to acquire interpreneurship skills to create job vancancy not only for themselves but also for other people as well as provide supervision for small-scale business development. The development policy of University of Merdeka Malang is stated in Renstra UNMER 2006-2015. Specifically, basic strategy of UNMER’s development policy stated in RENSTRA 2006-2015 are explained as follow:
- The quality and relevancy improvement of graduates. The improvement and the assurance of the academic and non academic quality designed and implemented under cooperation with education development and quality assurance bureau (BP3M), as an organization carrying out a function as an internal quality assurance system (SPMI), to improve quality continually.
- Application/ utilization of information and communication technology. Regarding to the development of information system with well-prepared and reliable database, the major policies of the implementation and utilization information and communication technology comprise: (1) the human resource development through the improvement of knowledge and abilityof utilizing information and communication technology, (2) the improvement of facility quality in accordance with the advancement of technology not only for academic purposes (the completeness of laboratorium facilities, learning activities in the class, academic management system as well as the library, etc), but also for non-academic ones through the establishment of reliable SIM, (3) qualified and legal academic development supporting HAKI through the use of operational system and lisenced application, (4) strengthening information system to cover academic administration system, academic activity evaluation, finance administration, bureaucracy simplification, student administration as well as supervising and tracing alumni continuously.
- The improvement of research services and community services; research development becomes the most strategic efforts to support academic process, improving competence and relevance of the graduates. Research activities and community services are efforts to facilitate lecturers and students to improve their competence and relevant skills required in work place through experience and assignment.
- Cooperation networking. The policy of creating cooperation with government and private institutions is based on academic development activities.
The development of university governance. The development of university governance is carried on to strengthen UNMER through several steps, namely, (1) restructuring the institution toward slim and highly functional structure, accompanied by fit and proper test practices for strategic positions and those which need highly required responsibility, (2) leardership commitment reinforcement to establish transparency, unit autonomy, and virtous and respectable institution governance, (3) revamping staff database as well as the their competence for future carrier prospect and systematic cadre, and (4) designing cooperation team persistently through capacity building program to develop proudness of academics toward the institution.